Monday, July 13, 2009

The 4th in South Dakota

Last year, I promised my liver that I would never never treat it as badly as I did last year. I am happy to report that I kept my promise and my liver has never been happier. :-)

The 4th fell on a Saturday this year so we spent Friday driving North to the place that Traci calls the mother land. Friday was spent at the local watering hole mingling with Traci's high school buddies, listening to 80's music and observing the "interesting" people from Baltic. The night officially ended at 4am after a short drive to the local park and hours of Traci and her buddies getting caught up.

I spent the next morning hanging out with Dave and the kids. We picked up fireworks, dug up some Asparagus, and I spent some time checking out the old buildings on the farm. Later that night we had a handful of people drop by with fireworks, kids and food to share. As the night descended on us, everyone grabbed their chairs and waited for the show to begin. Shane and I spent the next few hours running back and forth setting off every last firework that everyone brought. The best firework that night was a rocket that someone spent $3.71 on. It had the most impressive take off, climb and final explosion at the height of its flight. The best part came after the explosion when the nose cone and tail assembly came tumbling to the ground and sent everyone scrambling.


The local fireworks tent

View of Baltic from a nearby hill
The Baltic Water tower

Asparagus growing wild by the river at the farm
It is as peaceful as it looks!
The farm from the river
The old hog barn and farm house

The barn

it is a leaner

Traci and her daddy

Hunter, Allie and Rich

Bill and Traci

The Dybvigs
Debbie explaining how to properly brush your teeth
Shane lighting a mortar

BOOM!!

We built a fire for some smores and after the kids went to sleep we did whatever every grown man would do. We loaded all the empty tubes and misfires into the fire pit. There is nothing funnier than seeing three grown men running away from a whistling firework that is about to go off.

We like to call it "firework Roulette"

We hope your 4th was as explosive as ours!

Bill and Traci

4 comments:

D. Wagner said...

Oh, Bill you were a saint on the 3rd. My husband was going a bit crazy and he knew everyone there!! Traci always says you are the best husband ever. Great to see you again and thanks for being such a great sport!

Cecily said...

Hey Billy, I just read Traci's family name on this post and thought it seemed Scandinavian. So I asked my husband Kristian who is Danish what it might mean. He said "dyb" means deep and "vig" is an old Danish word meaning creek or bay or some other landscape feature involving water. So, not sure if Traci or her family knew much about their heritage, thought I'd share!

Bill and Traci said...

Much appreciated. The last name is Norwegian and I will let her know abu the water feature. :-)

Kara said...

I agree with Ms. Wagner - you were a saint to put up with the Baltic Lounge full of crazy Midwesterners.

I'm sorry I missed out on the park and the farm fun...I think that my body has officially decided that I can only go out once a week. (Darn aging...)

Glad you had a good SD visit. Hope to see y'all soon.