Monday, January 19, 2009

Royal Blue

This past weekend, Traci and I were invited to go to the Royal's Fan Fest at the Overland Convention Center. I normally wouldn't go to these types of things as they tend to feel more like a Star Trek Convention. But, instead of people running around speaking in Clingon with their phasers set to stun, they are clutching their photo albums filled with baseball cards and quoting baseball stats. Our friends Jeff and Jamie pulled through and offered us a pair of free tickets and you can't turn down free. :-)

David DeJesus, Shane Costa and Coco Crisp

Traci and I in the outfield

Jeff and Jamie

We arrived about 3 pm and started our stroll about the building. They had cages set up for batting, throwing, wiffle ball home run derby, and an area where you could catch fly balls. The Royals also brought out all the historical paraphernalia for everyone to gawk at. If you were hungry or thirsty, there was a bar and snack bar to take care of that. About every hour or so the Royals Blue Crew would come out and toss out "stuff" to the crowd. I am talking about cool stuff too!! Two different types of blankets, Jose Pena Jr. bobble heads, Royal's banners, hats, squishy balls and t-shirts. We walked away with a bag full of stuff and so did just about everyone else who held up their arms. I ended up giving away all of the squishy balls to kids as I was walking around. It is incredible how excited kids get when they find something unexpected. :-)

Now a Fanfest would not be complete without a good ole' photo session and autograph signing. Traci and I got in line to get autographs from John Buck and Zach Greinke. We were in line for about an hour and then we realized that the line had been cut off and not moving. Apparently the first 250 people are guaranteed to get an autograph and the rest have to wait until the next batch of ball players come out. The new names were posted and Brian Bannister was one of the players. We decided it was worth the wait to get a Monarch's hat and Major League Baseball signed. After about 20 mins, they allowed us to move forward and up to the tables. I noticed that all the seasoned Fanfest people began to take a squat and relax. I asked why everyone was sitting down and someone said that it would be another 50 minutes before the guys came. Traci and I both looked at each other and mouthed the words "Yeah, Right..." Needless to say, we jumped out of line and went to the makeshift bar.


There was one last event that we could participate in and that was the photo session with John Buck, Mike Aviles, and Luke Hochever. We were guaranteed a photo as we were 5th in line. We were level 5 excited and were planning how we were going to pose for our photos. When they came out, they all sat next to each other and the first person stood behind them and their photo was snapped. I think the girl said something about wanting to take a photo with just one of the players and they split them up. Crap, now it was going to take 3 times as long to get our pictures taken. The players were super-friendly and John Buck allowed Traci to kiss his cheek. :-) When I got up there, he asked me if I wanted him to kiss my cheek. What a guy!!

Traci laying one on John Buck
John Buck and I

Traci and Mike Aviles
Traci and Luke Hochevar
NO, I am not on his lap
The night was capped off by us tracking down Slugger and me getting a picture with him. If you ever get a picture with him, beware... he smells like Febreze and whoa!!!

My buddy Slugger and me

My buddy smacking me across my mug

We had a great time and look forward to going to the season opener this year. It falls on a Friday and we get the beat the Yankees!!


Go Royals!


Bill and Traci

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

How fun!
Hi Traci! I did some blog jumping and found you. Looks like things are going good for you. My blog is restricted, but if you want to take a look, please email me your email address. Take care! Tabitha
jtdodge at centurytel dot net